Monday, January 14, 2013

Bringing history to life: Frederick Douglass

Recently I read the autobiography of Frederick Douglass, a former slave who escaped to freedom and fought for the abolition of slavery in the United States.  Why I hadn't I read this amazing book before????  Why wasn't this assigned reading in my U.S. history class in high school????  AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING book!  I encourage you to read it!  How did I end up reading it?  It was because of my job as a private tutor.  One of my tutoring students had to read it for his U.S. history class, along with Mark Twain's Pudd'nhead Wilson (which I will post about another day). 


 
Here are some fantastic resources for your own study of Frederick Douglass....

Download the writings fo Frederick Douglass for FREE at Project Gutenberg HERE.  Most are available as HTML, epub, or Kindle versions, as well as a few other digital types.

An in depth  (28 page) study guide from Penguin Books, under their Signet Classics imprint:  HERE

A briefer (8 pages) study guide HERE

Take a virtual tour HERE of the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site, just outside of Washington, D.C.  There are two associated lesson plans at the website:
* Frederick Douglass's Hat (goes beyond just his hat!) HERE.
* Forward March: Continuing Frederick Douglass' Footsteps HERE

Frederick Douglass page at PBS.org HERE

Huffington Post article about "What Every American Should Know about Frederick Douglass, Abolitionist Prophet" - HERE

Hear (and watch) actor Danny Glover reading Frederick Douglass's "The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro" at Zinn History Project HERE

Frederick Douglass - An American Life (Part 1 of 4)


Frederick Douglass - An American Life (Part 2 of 4)


Frederick Douglass - An American Life (Part 3 of 4)


Frederick Dougalss - An American Life (Part 4 of 4)


1 comment:

  1. This is a great study. Please consider linking it at the home school resource - Look What We Did. I am sure that others would enjoy it as much as I did. -Savannah www.lookwhatwedid-homeschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

We adore comments! Please leave some! Just note, Anonymous comments go to my spam folder, and I rarely publish them.