Sunday, October 2, 2011

Geography - Landforms Notebook

As part of his Social Studies curriculum this year, I decided to have JP create a Landforms Notebook. When I was in the 3rd grade, we did a huge project on landforms. We learned about peninsulas, archipelagos, isthmuses, and more. Somehow, my son didn't get all of those lessons. I don't recall what land form he didn't know, but I was recently shocked when he asked for a definition. Since I learned all of those things in the 3rd grade, I assumed my son had to. Wrong! So, we are filling in a gap! Feel free to use this landforms notebook page for your own students. All I ask is that you not sell, or distribute the page, and please give credit where credit is due. This is my own creation, and I retain copyright. Feel free to refer people back to this page to print out the notebooking page themselves. Thanks! Clicking on the link will take you to Scribd.com where you can download and print the worksheet.

Landforms Notebook

On to other things...do you enjoy popcorn? Do you buy those prepackaged microwave things to pop your own? Don't do it! Instead, grab a clean paper bag and popcorn kernels. Measure out 1/4 to 1/2 cup of kernels, and pour them into the bag. Fold the top over tightly several times, and put it in the microwave. Hit your "popcorn" button, if you have one, or set the time, and push start! Stay nearby so you can listen (and smell) for the popcorn to be done popping. I used a paper bag that was a bit bigger than a lunch bag size and 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels. I had to pop my popcorn an extra minute (our "popcorn" button is 3 minutes), but it turned out terrifically! Light, and fluffy! I sprinkled nutritional yeast (gives a cheesy flavor and is perfect for those of us with a dairy allergy) over a bowlful, and JP melted some margarine and put that plus a bit of salt over his popcorn.

I have read that you can do the same thing with a bowl instead of a paperbag.  We don't happen to have any bowls the right size, with lids.  Forget those contraptions that are purposely for popping popcorn in the microwave too.  They are nice, but why bother when a paper bag or regular (microwave safe) bowl will do the job?


Sprinkled with nutritional yeast.
Did you catch my post on my crazy reading spree? If not, I'll briefly fill you in. I counted all of the books I have been reading, plus my haul from the library, and have 37 books on my reading list! As of today, I am done with three and have 34 more to go! My goal is to read them all (or at least the vast majority) by December 1st. As I finish books, I am putting a line through them, and adding the finish date in the original post. I'll periodically be posting my thoughts on what I've read...expect a post in a day or two about Suzanne Collins's Catching Fire, Jack Kerouac's Heaven and Other Poems, Nick Hornby's The Polysyllabic Spree, Ian McEwan's black dogs (lack of caps intended...), Jill Smolinski's The Last Thing on My List, and perhaps a few others...  What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot of books. I haven't counted my list of books, but it keeps growing as I've discovered Google Books recently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO neat about the popcorn - I never knew we could pop our own kernels in a paperbag! My crew loves popcorn, so I will definitely try your method, thanks!!
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like to melt different flavors into the butter like blue cheese, maple syrup, peanut butter, brown sugar and cinnamon...

    You probably can't do many of these, but maybe JP could experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made my own popcorn but now I want to try, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the cheap way to make popcorn. Recently I finished reading The Cross Centered Life by CJ Mahaney. It had an interesting definition of legalism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, my sister called and I pressed "post comment" before I timed out. Here is the super cool definition of a legalist: “The legalist allows his performance of spiritual duties to become his preoccupation and a source of self-righteous pride.” -C.J. Mahaney
    Christians allow themselves (me included) to be prideful about things we've done for God, when in reality, only things done through the Holy Spirit have any eternal value. But we somehow think we're better than other people. I struggle with pride all the time, and I think it's funny that people who hear my audios say I'm humble. I wish that were true. Anyway, that's what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete

We adore comments! Please leave some! Just note, Anonymous comments go to my spam folder, and I rarely publish them.