Tuesday, June 15, 2010

We call them.....poop cookies!

OK, in all fairness, these cookies are really just a basic refrigerator cookie of the chocolate-oatmeal variety.  But, my sister and I jokingly refer to them as "poop cookies" because, well, they aren't pretty!  In fact, despite tasting oooooooh so good, these suckers are downright ugly!  But, did I mention that they taste SO GOOD!?!?!?

This is one of those recipes that I've been in love with since childhood but I could never find the scrap of paper that I had it written down on.  So, last year, in a fit of organization and frenzy, I scanned, typed, and copied all of my recipes to my computer (heaven forbid I have a crash as they aren't backed up yet! Eep....note to self: back up hard drive and all files!).

This is *MY* variation of the classic No Bake Oatmeal Cookie.  Please check out the notes at the end of the recipe...  This makes a big batch as I doubled the original recipe and we like to make our cookies HUGE!

NO BAKE POOP COOKIES

2 sticks (1 cup) margarine
1 Cup cocoa powder
3 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
2 Cups rice milk
5 Cups oatmeal
1 Cup ground flax meal
1 Cup sunflower seed butter
1 Tbsp vanilla

In a very large pot, combine margarine, cocoa powder, sugar, and rice milk.  Stir over medium heat until the margarine has melted and your ingredients have mixed together.  You should see little bubbles forming at the edge but do NOT boil.



Remove from the heat.  Add oatmeal, flax, sunflower seed butter, and vanilla.  Stir until well combined and sticking together.


Drop by rounded spoonful onto wax paper on baking sheets.  Make the spoonfuls as big or small as you like.  Cool and store in the refrigerator.


I can't tell you how long these last because we usually have eaten the entire batch in under three days! 

Now, go lick the bowl and spoons clean!  YUMMY!



**When adding the oatmeal and flax, keep an eye on the consistency as you stir.  If it is appearing dry, stop adding these ingredients.  If it still is super wet and not sticking together, add a bit more at a time until it sticks together in a lump on your spoon.

**Due to allergies we use a dairy and soy-protein free margarine.  This is also why we use rice milk.  Feel free to use regular butter and regular milk or soy.  We also have a peanut allergy, but the original recipe calls for peanut butter.

**Want to add a little kick?  Try adding a tablespoon of instant espresso powder!!!

**Instead of vanilla, consider adding some mint extract!

**If you aren't allergic to nuts, you could substitute the flax or a *small* amount of oatmeal with finely chopped nuts.

**If you like raisins, they might make an interesting addition.  Personally, however, I can't stand raisins.  Funny that I'm willing to eat a cookie that we refer to as poop but I won't eat something that looks like a booger....hmmm.....

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And, last but not least, please consider following our blog.  You can just click on the little button at the right that says FOLLOW and then follow the directions!


Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...grew up on these cookies, (though I like your "name" better!) and your recipe ingredients are very interesting. Anxious to give this "twist" a try. And loving your suggestions at the end. Suggestion: Back your recipes up in a little external hard drive! Being a recipe collector myself, and having "lost" them to the bowels of the lost documents, I have learned the hardway and now back up every time I add or change a recipe. Good luck with your blogging. Just started mine last night...come follow me! http://www.caremorecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment and tips about backing up. Off to check out your blog now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, one of my good friends' little girl calls ginger cookies poop cookies because of the molasses smell and the color before you cook them :P

    These look incredible!

    ReplyDelete

We adore comments! Please leave some! Just note, Anonymous comments go to my spam folder, and I rarely publish them.